20081007

VOTE! And I think I've found my pick for US Senator from Alaska while simultaneously preserving my conscience.

Did you vote in the Borough Elections today?

"Don't Vote? Don't Bitch."

I voted today, about 0900 this morning. I made darn sure I voted for the Interior Taxpayers Association Tax Cap, Ballot Proposition B; while voting NO on the Borough's Tax Cap of Ballot Proposition A. No more loop holes! I should have done a bit more research on the candidates running. I did vote for the ones that came on the radio that sounded like good solid Conservatives and were dedicated to the ideals of limited government and lower taxes and more choice for parents for education.

Now about the US Senate Candidate for next month's National Election, I think I'll go with David Haase Libertarian Candidate for US Senate from Alaska.

Why? Ted Stevens the incumbent Republican from Alaska is just shy of getting convicted for corruption, the Democratic candidate Mark Begich is a party line Democrat claiming to be Independent. Bob Bird, the AIP candidate believes in a pull out of Iraq, immediately. So that leaves me with David Haase.

Mr. Haase doesn't believe in an immediate pull-out of Iraq, because the job needs done first and done right. We are real close to that, and since I don't want to see that fall apart, he'll get my vote based mainly on that point along with the other main points I look for in a candidate.

I also heavily consider how Pro-Life the candidate is. Sen. Stevens, Mr. Bob Bird, and Mr. David Haase all pass this important issue for my vote.

Along with Pro-Life comes Pro-Second Amendment, an interpretation of which views the terms "well regulated militia" and "people" as one in the spirit of the Federalist No. 29 as written by Alexander Hamilton. Thus far, the above mentioned three, and perhaps even Mayor Begich all support that belief (how far Mayor Begich will go to respect that remains suspect, once a politician goes to DC, its too easy to find themselves in lockstep with the likes of senior fellow party members).

Here are some quotes from the Federalist No. 29, quotes of interest that point out the intent behind defining the Second Amendment to clarify the Right to bear Arms.
In regards to keeping everyone in the US as an active member of the militia, it was not practical:
" To attempt a thing which would abridge the mass of labor and industry to so considerable an extent, would be unwise: and the experiment, if made, could not succeed, because it would not long be endured. Little more can reasonably be aimed at, with respect to the people at large, than to have them properly armed and equipped; and in order to see that this be not neglected, it will be necessary to assemble them once or twice in the course of a year."
Note: However, it seems that it was considered a wise idea that all men be armed and ready as such, and inspected to ensure compliance! ALL MEN, meaning every citizen.

From what I can ascertain, Mr. Haase interprets the Second Amendment in this light; along with Bob Bird, and even possibly Sen. Stevens and Mayor Begich (however, I don't know for sure, I need some input for further research on Mayer Begich's background in regards to gun rights).

Of all the issues, Mr. Haase will likely get my vote mainly based on his belief that the mission started in Operation Iraqi Freedom needs finished. That, and he's not in trial right now with recorded phone calls as evidence that he committed an actual crime. Senator Stevens is a real American hero in many respects, he is WWII veteran of the "Flying Tigers" and served for the most part with distinction as Senator for the State of Alaska. However, he lost his way and his Honor in the process. While he can't get my vote, if he were to admit his wrong and resign, I know he'd get his Honor back and more of my respect.

No comments:

Blog Archive