20090119

Femi-Nazi's and Patriotism....

Dirk Benedict bashes the new series, erroneously named Battlestar Galactica....
I can't blame him. While some see the original series as a shameless attempt to capitalize on the Star Wars Space Opera popularity, the impression that series left on world is undeniable. First, Vipers; one of the most famous starfighters ever to jump off a big or small screen. Any Airmen worth his stripes or Officer worth their brass in the Air Force will correct you when you call an F-16 Fighting Falcon a Fighting Falcon or Falcon. F-16s are Vipers(Wikipedia), its just that simple. Any use of Falcon is nomenclature (like how the UH-1 Iroquois is always referred to as Huey) for official paperwork or public affairs. Then there are the miniatures and games, which is more than likely just the cult following they have received over the years. The new series Premiere made me puke when I first saw it a few years back on Sci-Fi at a friends house. It was clearly an agenda driven hack job...

Mr. Benedict does a fine job as Starbuck in the original series. His womanizing cigar smoking cocky attitude so resonated with the US Air Force fighter community, that its impression lasts to this day as long as Vipers fly in the USAF inventory. But then, Hollyweird never liked the military as a target audience...

I was impressed by Frank Miller's NPR Essay. I'm a comic book fan, but I've avoided cape and cowl hero's ever since Spiderman had a clone in the late 1990's... I've been reading indie comic graphic novels and Dark Horse's Star Wars ever since I lost faith in super heros... I might go track down some Miller's work now. I knew he was pretty liberal as most artists can be, but recently, his work has shown some more free thinking and patriotic views regarding his heroes. Ever since some folks vilified his "300" I've really taken a liking to him. I remember being in high school when the first "300" issues came out, there wasn't any political motive to them as some in the liberal media perceived when they made him out to be "a Bush supporter"... Its sad to see a good story get polarized despite its history, but then, it happened to George Lucas when the other side accused his "Clone Wars" prequels of being politically charged against Bush, I remember reading a book about the mythology of Star Wars in high school, it was all based on Hitlers rise to power and the way the Third Reich worked more than the GWOT. But political hacks on either side will make conspiracies fit where convenient...

No comments:

Blog Archive