20090206

06FEB09 Untold Stories From Iraq

On my last deployment to Iraq as a member of the 3rd ASOS supporting the 4th BDE 25th Infantry Division I maintained a file of cartoons called "The Morale File" with some inventories on our desk at the Tactical Operations Center (TOC). I'd promised the guys I was with that I would try to publish some of these professionally...

...well, that was in 2007. Now its 2009, and I'd just about given up any ideas of publication when I ran across a posting at the IAVA Community of Veterans Forum by Victor Castro asking for cartoons/stories/and comics from soldiers about experiences in Iraq. So I answered, and sent in these pictures, all of them done on cheap paper with cheap pens in the middle of the desert and scanned in with the only scanner that could be found (and done in the middle of the night where no Senior NCO's could get touchy about an Airman using they're equipment...). For the graphic novel, I've given the royal treatment as the penciler, I used 2H and H pencils on fine 100 lbs vellum Bristol for the inker, Peter Palmiotti (Highburn Studios, about 1/3rd of the way down).

So my dream has come true, I'm contributing to a graphic novel, being published in the small press of the comics industry! On top of that, all proceeds go to the USO, Wounded Warrior Project, and the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America! Good causes! Clayton Merwin is the point of contact for this project, he is also a blog follower! He was interviewed by Blog Talk Radios "You Served" in Episode 24 and maintains a project site Hero's Fallen.

See my Simple Analysis blog for the pictures...

2 comments:

StrangeLand Bass said...

Great blog.

I'm a former comm officer from the 182 (now 168) ASOC in Peoria, IL. Just did short tour at HQ ISAF, in Kabul last year. I just transferred (or was transferred) into a Combat Comm unit.

I love the comics. . . I'll be following.

Sudsy said...

Good to have someone from the TACP community support side take a look! Thanks! BTW, did you know a Pappenfuss on the 1C4 side of things with your ASOS? We went to Tech School together...

Blog Archive