20090316

16MAR2009, One Year with ASDF!



One year ago, about today or yesterday, I raised my right hand and took an Oath of Enlistment for the second time in my life (well, the only other one that mattered was at my Basic Graduation on 15SEP00... Though going through MEPS and the DEP you take a couple of Oath's of Enlistment, but the one at the end of Basic/Boot is the one that really counts). I decided to follow in the footsteps of Alaska residents during WWII when they joined up with the Alaska Territorial Guard. I was tired of the Active Duty deployments every six months for six months! With a family, its no way to live, yet I still wanted to serve my country and my state, and this is the best way!

This time when I took my Oath of Enlistment, my obligation is as always to "defend and protect the Constitution of the United States from all enemies foreign and domestic". For some history About.com has a bit: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/oathofenlist.htm

We take the same Oath of Enlistment the National Guard does:
"I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of (STATE NAME) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the Governor of (STATE NAME) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to law and regulations. So help me God. "

If you have any questions or are interested in the Alaska State Defense Force, click the ATG patch on my page here to visit the Alaska Department of Military and Veterans Affairs web page about the Alaska State Defense Force. For more information about other State Guard and State Defense Forces that are DoD recognized state militias, visit the State Guard Association of the United States web page!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Can you email me at finn_rye@ak-prepared.com? I'd like to discuss with you the potential of some collaboration regarding the ASDF website. I have been the site admin for about 5 years and could use some assistance in generating new content.

I can tell from your blog and graphic work that you have some skills in this area you might wish to contribute to the ASDF website.

CPT Finn Rye
49th Civil Affairs BDE
Alaska State Defense Force

Blog Archive